Monday, April 7, 2008

Touché
Touché - “To acknowledge a hit in fencing or the success of an argument, an accusation or witty point .”
A friend of mine, whose mind is placed on a very profound and philosophical thought track, randomly brought up a question in conversation the other day: “can you touché yourself?” This question was gently glossed over and the conversation went on without acknowledgement of the question, but I personally haven’t glossed over it. It hit home to hard. Please comfort me and tell me I am not the only one who can present a perfectly valid argument, and not 10 minutes later lose that argument to myself. It’s like I can debate myself in circles and poke holes in every thought, answering my questions with answers that bring up questions that I have answered and then those questions and answers which are still in question, and let us not forget those questions that have no answer and those perfectly sagacious answers which have no question. I find it rather exasperating to say the least. Especially when this questioning thing is brought into matters of spiritual nature, when I pursue an answer that will never be found in our finite minds, it tends to give birth to doubt, which is not…good. If I have lost you, then I present my humblest apologies, but I for one know exactly what I am talking about. This post as a whole I would “touché”, but I thought I would put it out there for rumination.

2 comments:

Colin said...

How can you not touché yourself? I've done it probably dozens of times just today. So, that's my humble opinion: Touchéing yourself is the only way to refine your arguments and reason through important debates.

Emily said...

holly...
wouldn't your therapist appreciate you formulating your OWN opinions instead of just asking other people for theirs? lol.